Thursday, June 23, 2016

 Day 50--Paper Towel Caper
Flash will soon be leaving to join Dave in whatever venue Flash seems to enjoy. Mellissa and Dave participate in many different performance sports and are even trying their hand at conformation. Time will tell where Flash best fits in. The dream is that he will fill his Great Uncle Beepers shoes as a demo fire dog for school children. Flash is a very handsome boy and has already formed a bond with Dave. Flash has been the largest in the litter from the beginning and continues to be. He weighed in at 9 1/2 pounds yesterday with Findlay coming in at a close second at 9 pounds. Charlotte is the smallest at just 6 1/4 pounds.
 
As the puppies get bigger, so do their messes. I try to keep on top of things and often remove something from their area that they have decided to destroy. I keep rolls of paper towels close at hand to do quick clean ups in the potty boxes. Well yesterday I left one on top of the crate so that it would be handy. The puppies were just fed and I went off to check on Gavin and Dalton. When I returned to the pen I was shocked to see they had pulled off the blanket from the top of the crate and with it a fresh roll of paper towels. What a mess! They had ripped up paper towels everywhere. I first started grabbing puppies to remove paper towel from their mouths and then scrambled around trying to get all that was scattered. I kept finding pieces throughout the day. Bonnie/Kimber says, who me, I never saw any paper towel.
Uh, is that paper towel I see in your mouth? Who me, not me. 
These Kidz play hard and then they crash just about anywhere to sleep it off for the next round. 

I made more changes yesterday after the awful night we had on Tuesday night. After feeding them their last meal of the day yesterday, I removed the crate from the play area and made a bed the whole way across the end of the pen. I filled three water bowls, left the whelping area open and then headed to bed. I would like to tell you that that worked but the noise started at 1:45 this morning. I refused to get up. I found a pillow over the head helps some (mine not theirs). I finally gave up around 2:45.
 
We have a big day today with their first car ride since they were two days old. I will load them up for an hour and twenty minute drive for their hearing tests. I was told the tests should take about two hours and then we have the long ride home. There isn't much about any of this that I am looking forward to.
 

1 comment:

  1. I came home to a surprise one of the first times I left Spirit out of the crate when I left the house. I wasn't gone very long, but came home to my love seat foam rubber cushion in shreds! I am sure he was playing with Webster, running and jumping off the chair knocking the cushion off. Luckily they chewed a hole in the bottom of the leather cushion so I could still use it. I am sure Webster & Stevie joined in on the fun. I am glad they didn't eat the foam rubber. Your puppies probably just thought you were giving them another toy. They just had to work harder to get it! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete