Sunday, June 5, 2016

Day 32---Manding
This is not the best picture of Eiven but it does show him Manding. The Puppy Culture program teaches that puppies can learn early on that to interact with humans they can sit quietly for attention. I must say I was a bit of a doubter after owning Dalmatians for so many years. They all seem to greet by jumping up seeking attention. I started on Friday not touching any of the puppies unless they sat calmly. It didn't take them long to figure this out. We had many visitors over the weekend and I asked each to not touch the puppies unless they sat. How cute to see these tiny four week old puppies all sit waiting for attention. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or my guests. The puppies learn quickly, now if I can just teach the humans. Sometimes people forget when a cute little face is jumping for attention.
 
One very important part of these first weeks is a lot of human interaction so I open my home to visitors on a regular basis. The family that traveled the farthest this weekend drove six hours from Virginia, spent the night in a hotel and came to spend a couple of hours with the puppies before driving six hours back home. I was delighted to meet Martha and Bruce after many months of corresponding through emails. They will soon be taking one of these precious babies home to live on their farm with them and their horses.
 
 Because I was so busy with company I didn't get pictures of the puppies but did catch a few of some of the guests as they lovingly held these sweet babies. Here are Lori and her husband  loving on one of the Kidz. They are trying to make a decision about adding another Dal to their home.
This is Paris with what I expect is Bonnie. Bonnie will be shown in the conformation ring but we aren't sure which show home just yet. I was waiting for a wrestling match to break out yesterday to see who gets her. 
More decisions by a prospective puppy home. Do we add a second dog yet? hmmm 
Such a sweet tender moment to see grown men loving on these babies. Good for puppies to learn at an early age that men with hats are a good thing. 
Here is our friend and the person most responsible for getting me into the dog show and breeding world. Barb has mentored many over the years and shared her knowledge of the breed. She has taught many experienced breeders the importance of health testing and other aspects of being a responsible breeder. I have seen Barb make some heart wrenching decisions over the years that were in the best interest of this breed. Many of you may have contacted her over the years, as she is our breeder referral person, and she has guided many of you to the loving pet you now own.  

3 comments: