Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 30--Morning Havoc
Can you count all eleven?
 
Our day typically begins at 3:00 A.M. I let the big dogs out and then turn the little ones loose from their sleeping area. I am pleased to say that we have had clean dry puppies each morning. Most breeders will tell you that the worst part of the day is the first thing in the morning after the puppies have been up through the night pooping and running through it and then jumping all over each other; the only word for it is YUK. I am pleased that this new system is working well. I have also been pleased that I am seeing more and more getting to the play yard potty box. We still have a long way to go---- but I do see progress.

We had to make more changes yesterday. I have tried to block the puppies from the back end of the whelping box but they are getting much too clever for me. Finday had discovered an escape route a few days back, so I used a roll of bubble wrap to block that exit. On Wednesday night my husband was awakened to screaming puppies around 1:30. He came to find they had pulled the bubble wrap into the sleeping area and two puppies were at the back of the pen. Here is the new arrangement. I had no escapees last night. I also enlarged their night time bed as they are growing each day and it was getting crowded.
Eve decides to try the bottle challenge. Sorry about the color in some of these photos but I had a different light on and had not changed the camera settings. OK, so I may be a little bit tired.
Elmo gets a work out again. 
I added a new toy yesterday. This Dalmatian is motion activated and barks at them when they are near. As you can see they are not even a little bit intimidated. 
Another change yesterday was adding a second crate. They have taken to napping in the crate rather than the whelping box and that one crate was getting pretty crowded. They aren't sure they like having the crate door shut but I do close them in while I clean the play yard. 
This morning Eiven was in one crate alone and was not happy at all when I closed him in. I let him scream until he got quiet and then opened the door. They will soon learn that screaming does NOT get them what they want.  
We are beginning something that the Puppy Culture program calls Manding. It is a method that teaches self control. No one is to pick up a puppy or lean down and pet them or interact with them unless they are sitting quietly. I am going to ask everyone that visits to please follow that so we can see how this method works. Speaking of visitors---we are expecting several this weekend and I wanted to let everyone know that you are welcome to come visit when you like now.

1 comment:

  1. So many people do not realize it takes so much time and effort to properly raise a litter of well adjusted puppies. You do such a wonderful job LaDonna! They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete